Todo sobre la creación, diseño y programación de nuevo software para
nuestro Spectrum

Moderador: Sir Cilve Sinclair

Responder
BiNMaN
rst 0

Land of Mire Mare

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Mié Ene 29, 2014 11:32 am

This game has to be considered as a tribute. It's inspired by the unreleased Mire Mare game & characters created by Ultimate Play The Game in golden 80's.

Finally, even if not officially, the legend has seen the light of day. Sabreman's last adventure, announced by ending credits seen in Underwurlde, Knight Lore and Pentagram, takes place in the Land of Mire Mare, where three volcanoes are on the brink to burn the whole territory. In order to avoid a disaster, Sabreman will have to find and use three magic jewels.

THE LEGEND OF THE THREE JEWELS

The mission is to find three enchanted jewels which have the power to turn off volcanoes, then throw them into the Well of Mire Mare, in order to break the curse.

Sabreman's vital energy is represented by a water bar, which will decrease when a collision occurs with an enemy.

Each jewel is defended by a Deadly Guardian: a Knight, a Gargoyle and a Fire Eagle. Watch out for the Guardians, because they are invulnerable!

In order to pick up a jewel, our hero has to leave a pledge, which can be found around the land. Once a pledge is exchanged with a jewel, it will be no longer possible to pick up the same object. If Sabreman has no items to be exchanged, jewels cannot be collected.

Rising enemies can be defeated by weapons. Three main weapons can be collected: a Sword, an Axe and a Staff.

Sword - kills all enemies except fire flames and Jewel Guardians.

Axe - is useful to extinguish moving fire flames, but can also be used to open wooden doors instead of keys.

Staff – can defeat all enemies including fire, except Jewel Guardians.

Along the way, our hero can collect some bonuses: water glasses and bottles restore the energy, keys open wooden doors (each key works only once, opened doors will close again). The keys are not unlimited, so use them sparingly! If Sabreman is running out of keys, he can use the Axe to open wooden doors.

Be careful and... good exploration!

CONTROLS (KEYBOARD)

Q - Move left
W - Move right
E - Move down
R - Move up
T - Use weapons / Pick up / Exchange objects

The game uses Kempston & Sinclair Interface II joysticks as well.

CREDITS

· Authored with Arcade Game Designer by Jonathan Cauldwell.
· Programmed by Luca Bordoni.
· Very special thanks to BiNMaN for graphic support and Mister Beep for having provided a splendid soundtrack!

ImagenImagen
ImagenImagen

A while back I was contacted by a couple of folks regarding the mock ups I did for Martyn Carroll's Retro Gamer article on Ultimate. One for the Spectrum and one as a spectrum style pc game.

The Spectrum version has been written by Luca Bordoni using Jonathan Cauldwell's AGD. I must say what a splendid job he has done too. Luca contacted me to ask if he could use some of the graphics in his tribute to Ultimate and the Sabreman series of games. So he used the frame, a slightly altered loading screen, a couple of small graphics and I did an original sabreman sprite. Everything else he has put together (except for the music and some help with the menu). And over the last month or two we have struck up a really good friendship, which I hope will continue now his project is over.

His dedication to the game and the Ultimate legacy has been such that he has even produced cassette inlay artwork and cassette labels.

It has been a wonderful time discussing the in's and out's of AGD, how to achieve his goals for the game using AGD. This is his first game using AGD and initially he spent many nights picking my brains about how to do things in the AGD scripting engine, working around bugs and strange crashes. In fact I think I have learned more during our problem solving conversations than I have on my own over the last 6 years!!

He has inspired me to dig out some old projects and make more use of this great utility.

A great guy, I hope you enjoy his presentation.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/binman/Land%20of%20Mire%20Mare.zip

BiNMaN
Última edición por BiNMaN el Mié Ene 29, 2014 2:13 pm, editado 1 vez en total.

BiNMaN
rst 0

Re: Land of Mire Mare

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Mié Ene 29, 2014 11:37 am

apologies for not putting it up in Spanish, I don't speak any and I don't trust online translation!

:D

radastan
Phantomas
Contactar:

Mensaje por radastan » Mié Ene 29, 2014 1:04 pm

No worry!

Only hate keys, the rest of the game is like Mire Mare would be. Thanks a lot for the work!

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Mié Ene 29, 2014 1:17 pm

radastan escribió:No worry!

Only hate keys, the rest of the game is like Mire Mare would be. Thanks a lot for the work!

yes it has been commented on WoS also

Luca chose those keys as it reminded him of the Ultimate titles from his youth, we are discussing changing this and also how Sabreman respawns. Rather than a predetermined point on the screen it should be changed to the players last x,y.

It is his first game only recently started to use AGD and he is still learning (as am I!)

Oh and due to a request on WoS, he will be doing a Ultimate big box style artwork too (as in underwurlde etc)

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Mié Ene 29, 2014 2:04 pm

couple of minor tweaks done later today, the zip will be updated accordingly

will post when ready

hikoki
Freddy Hardest

Mensaje por hikoki » Mié Ene 29, 2014 3:17 pm

may i suggest wasd+space/m ? my fav controls :)
thanks for the game!!

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Mié Ene 29, 2014 9:42 pm

update coming very soon, hikoki I will be including a WASD M version just for you

JBGV
Manic Miner

Mensaje por JBGV » Mié Ene 29, 2014 9:49 pm

It s a very good game!

It's really a tribute to the eighties. :D

Congratulations !

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Jue Ene 30, 2014 12:15 am

the zip file has been updated

3 versions of the game depending on your choice of keys, QWERT, QAOPM and as a special request WASDM

Luca has done some more box art designs for that Knightlore/Underwurlde big box feel

enjoy :mrgreen:

hikoki
Freddy Hardest

Mensaje por hikoki » Jue Ene 30, 2014 3:29 am

Thank you very much for the wasdm version, now it's easier for me not to get stuck into the scenery. I love the graphics, the fake perspective of the doors is cool, and the fact that you have to think how to unlock them taking into account which is the best weapon on every room, man I would like to carry the axe all the time but then ghosts and Jetpac's spikes would beat me up. It's a matter of time that I find the well to throw all the shards, please don't tell me :mrgreen:

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Jue Ene 30, 2014 9:22 pm

after much head scratching by Luca, it would seem there is a possible bug in AGD's REMOVE command
Luca has done a fix, I've added them to the zip file

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/binman/Land%20of%20Mire%20Mare.zip

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Vie Feb 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Luca has been tweaking the game
v.1.04
- Increased difficulty by changing Jewels Guardians dangerousness for deadly (so beware, a life is lost at first touch with them);
- Enhanced fire effect by applying colours to weapon images.

hikoki
Freddy Hardest

Mensaje por hikoki » Vie Feb 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Nice!! I'll check out the changes tonight
Just saying, maybe making the contact with guardians kill the player right away is too hardcore ? :)
about the enemies' behavior I suggest to take a look at The-Lost-Treasure to make them look like smarter and not get stuck into the scenery so easily, I think the algorithm was simple enough to be deduced just by observing the chasing movements of the enemies, and yet it is pretty effective.

Edit :

Forget it, I tried the game and now is more challenging and it's better that they get blocked sometimes as if waiting to corner your way out. I challenge you all to beat the game only with axe.
A few more ideas :
- I guess AGD does not allow shooting but showing repeatedly the weapon for an instant would be nice, something like when one changes weapons only that showing the sprite a bit ahead of the hero. If I may ask for more, it'd be great to see the doors bursting into woodchips when you open them with axe 8)
- It'd be fun that you could transport weapons across any screen and that you had to hide them into the bushes so that the enemies didn't take them away and run to lay them close to the guardians :lol:
- I imagine making the bonfires follow me into the trunks to burn them, so it'd be nice to use them this way in rooms full of trunks where you are almost totally trapped

BiNMaN
rst 0

Mensaje por BiNMaN » Mar Feb 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Luca has made some further changes to the game

v.1.05
- Added few seconds of invulnerability at player's respawn: this way, player doesn't lose all lives when killed close to a Guardian respawn point;
- Countdown timer added: volcanoes cannot wait forever, so now a 'lava hourglass' is shown over the frame. The hourglass countdown refreshes every time a jewel is thrown into the pit.

v.1.04
- Increased difficulty by changing Jewels Guardians dangerousness for deadly (so beware, a life is lost at first touch with them);
- Enhanced fire effect by applying colours to weapon images.

v.1.03
- There was a cheat with the doors that deliberately left in where you could, if timed correctly, pass through a door without a key or the axe, that has now been locked out.

v.1.02
- Player's respawn fix: player should respawn and not disappear.

v.1.01
- Changed fire performance: player changes colour instead of perform movements while shooting (Thanks BiNMaN!);
- Player's respawn fix: player will respawn in the exact death point.

v.1.00
- A first release to test the audience!

Responder