New universal interface

Si por algo se caracteriza el Spectrum es por su gran variedad de periféricos (clásicos y modernos)

Moderador: Sir Cilve Sinclair

LeoCZ
Jack The Nipper

Re: New universal interface

Mensaje por LeoCZ » Jue Ago 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Very nice work!!, really interesting. I hope to see it working soon.
CZ Spectrum - Tk90x - ZX Spectrum+ - ZX Spectrum +2A

Uto
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por Uto » Dom Ago 25, 2013 11:47 am

I have just noticed something in this interface that I think it's a problem: looking at the board it seems the edge connector will be solded over the card, so the board will be on vertical position. Depending on the dimensions of the card that means that will be reducing visibility of the display being used, that often is in front of the Spectrum. When you connect a joystick to that interface, as the connector is on top of the board, the visibility issue is even worse.

Solutions:

A) change design so edge connection is solded "sideways" so the main board stays horizontal.

B) at least, make the joystick connector be on one side if the board has to be vertically connected.

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Dom Ago 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Uto escribió:I have just noticed something in this interface that I think it's a problem: looking at the board it seems the edge connector will be solded over the card, so the board will be on vertical position. Depending on the dimensions of the card that means that will be reducing visibility of the display being used, that often is in front of the Spectrum. When you connect a joystick to that interface, as the connector is on top of the board, the visibility issue is even worse.

Solutions:

A) change design so edge connection is solded "sideways" so the main board stays horizontal.

B) at least, make the joystick connector be on one side if the board has to be vertically connected.

Here is big problem with PCB size. PCB is designed for plastic case and move joystick connector is not easy (I need on PCB four holes). I use also vertical interface with joystick and no problem with visibility because table height is commonly 70 cm. Height of my eyes is more than 35cm higher than posivion of ZX computer/keyboard. Problem can be only if space between monitor/TV and ZX is very very small and height of your table is very big.

But is possible solder this PCB as horisontal device if you use this pinhead type for ZX connector connection:
Imagen
But with this connector will impossible use throuht connector for next devices.

Also exist next way - use same pinhead for horisontal soldering and instead ZX connector solder pins direct to one connector of this splitter:
http://velesoft.speccy.cz/other/rozdvojka/index.htm

Imagen

CANON connector on my PCB is not only for joystick, it's multifunctional bidirectional connector.

Uto
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por Uto » Lun Ago 26, 2013 9:01 pm

If it's 70cm then probably won't be that bad. For some reason I thought it would be bigger, but 70 cm is the size of many other interfaces (like kempston interfaces that already have canon connector on top).

Thanks for reply!

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Dom Sep 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Interface will exist in two versions. First is all-in-one PCB (see previouse pictures) and second version contain only some components, but on board is new expansion connector for possibility connect more devices.

Second version:
Imagen
Imagen

As you can see, this version not contain D/A convertors, PIC for K-MOUSE support and absent also slave micro SD slot.
On PCB is PS/2 or USB connector connector to pins of new expansion connecor (21 I/O pins + 2 pins for USB/PS2 connector + 2x GND + 2x 5V). For expansion connector will exist some modules with D/A sound, K-MOUSE, ETHERNET, USB, TAPE IN/OUT, IDE connector, CF connector, parallel port/printer, MIDI, etc...

Uto
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por Uto » Jue Oct 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Hello,

Are there any news about this interface? Any progress? :)

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Lun Mar 17, 2014 8:09 pm

News - real PCB for first testing....

Imagen
Imagen

JULIO
Freddy Hardest

Mensaje por JULIO » Mar Mar 18, 2014 2:06 am

Can you explain how connect in zx bus A15, ROM1&2OE, MREQ and IORQ?
your work looks good, as usual.

Puedes explicar como se conectan al bus A15, ROM1 OE, ROM2 OE, MREQ y IORQ.
la placa tiene muy buena pinta, como siempre.

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Mar Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm

JULIO escribió:Can you explain how connect in zx bus A15, ROM1&2OE, MREQ and IORQ?
your work looks good, as usual.

Puedes explicar como se conectan al bus A15, ROM1 OE, ROM2 OE, MREQ y IORQ.
la placa tiene muy buena pinta, como siempre.

MULTIINTERFACE modify this signals for external devices. For example can disable memory access for all other interfaces or enable connect original ZX devices to +2A/+3 computers.

Uto
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por Uto » Mar Mar 18, 2014 6:40 pm

When you say "Interface will work as DIVIDE with SD cards (DIVMMC) but with reconfigurable memory access... Programmable breakpoints, LIFO memory support, etc..."

Do you mean that It will be compatible with DIVIDE firmwares, specially with ESXDOS?

What do you mean with "reconfigurable memory access".

Would it be possible to map any SRAM bank to any Spectrum 0-65535 memory?

Would it be possible to copy memory contents from base memory to extended memory and vice versa?

Thanks.

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Mar Mar 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Uto escribió:When you say "Interface will work as DIVIDE with SD cards (DIVMMC) but with reconfigurable memory access... Programmable breakpoints, LIFO memory support, etc..."

Do you mean that It will be compatible with DIVIDE firmwares, specially with ESXDOS?

Yes. This interface is designed specially for ESXDOS ( I am in contact with author ).
Compatibility with other old DIVIDE systems is impossible, because here not exist IDE support.

Uto escribió:What do you mean with "reconfigurable memory access".

Would it be possible to map any SRAM bank to any Spectrum 0-65535 memory?

Original DIVIDE contain only some fixed points in ZX rom for connect external memory. MULTIINTERFACE enable making own points (unlimited numbers of points and different points in 48rom and different in 128editor rom, also for +3 rom will exist 4 different blocks of points for each 16kB rom page). Copy memory between external ram and ZX ram is possible. External ram can be used also as rom replacement/allram mode, but is impossible(possible but dangerous) connect external ram also to address space 16384-65535. DIVIDE memory in MULTIINTERFACE will work in extended mode with more features and with better tr-dos support.

Uto escribió:Would it be possible to copy memory contents from base memory to extended memory and vice versa?

Thanks.

Yes. For example may be used DMA transfer for faster copying.

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Sab Mar 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Step 2: soldering components

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Uto
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por Uto » Vie Oct 10, 2014 1:52 am

Hi!

Has there been any progress with this interface?

It was looking great!

By the way, what is the connector in the last photo?

VELESOFT
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por VELESOFT » Vie Oct 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Uto escribió:Hi!

Small, but now is time and development continue :-)

Uto escribió:It was looking great!

By the way, what is the connector in the last photo?

It's stereo audio connector (stereo jack 3.5mm). Connector contain also 4th contact with +5V (reserve...)

Uto
Jack The Nipper

Mensaje por Uto » Jue Oct 16, 2014 2:45 am

VELESOFT escribió:
Uto escribió:Hi!

Small, but now is time and development continue :-)

Nice!

Responder