Moderador: Sir Cilve Sinclair

Responder
cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Translator and +3DOS coder wanted

Mensaje por cheveron » Dom Abr 14, 2013 11:07 am

Hi,
I'm working on an RPG for the Spectrum +2B, but it should be possible to port it to +3 (it will run on the earlier 128s but with frame overruns owing to the contended I/O). I've received a lot of support from the Spanish community over the years so I'm keen to release a version in Spanish. At this stage I've just got the text for the character creation part. There's rather a lot of it and it has to fit in a small text window of 41x4 characters. I plan to finish coding the character generator this year, but the game itself will take much longer. Please get in touch if you are interested.
Cheers!
«Dime con quién andas, y te diré quién eres» — Cervantes

oblo
Sabreman

Re: Translator and +3DOS coder wanted

Mensaje por oblo » Dom Abr 14, 2013 11:23 am

Hi

So you need someone to translate english to spanish, right? If yes, count me in :)

Cheers

Ivanzx
Nonamed
Contactar:

Mensaje por Ivanzx » Dom Abr 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Sounds great!
Im at the moment translating another game from Spanish into english, so, that, plus having a baby does not leave me a lot of free time, but hopefully there is already a volunteer :)

If the game works in the +2B models, will it work in the +2A?

Good luck with it!

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Dom Abr 14, 2013 6:31 pm

oblo escribió:Hi

So you need someone to translate english to spanish, right? If yes, count me in :)

Cheers

Thanks. I also need someone to covert the tape version to work with +3DOS. This will need a rewrite of the game to some degree because currently there is no free room for the DOS. There will be a vast amount of translation to do as the game is text heavy. However, if you start with the manual then I'll be able to do some of the in-game work based on that. You can download the manual and see more details about the game here: http://inspired.ultimacodex.com/ultima- ... britannia/

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Dom Abr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Ivanzx escribió:Sounds great!
Im at the moment translating another game from Spanish into english, so, that, plus having a baby does not leave me a lot of free time, but hopefully there is already a volunteer :)

If the game works in the +2B models, will it work in the +2A?

Good luck with it!

It will run on the +2A but the sound will be bad (unless the +3 sound fix is done). However most machines that say +2A on the case are actually +2Bs anyway. Actually it will run on any 128K machine but it will glitch badly on the toaster and the mark I grey +2 because of the I/O contention. I suppose it might persuade a few people to put Velesoft's fixed GAL in their older machines :)

oblo
Sabreman

Mensaje por oblo » Dom Abr 14, 2013 9:30 pm

cheveron escribió:

Cheers

Thanks. I also need someone to covert the tape version to work with +3DOS. This will need a rewrite of the game to some degree because currently there is no free room for the DOS. There will be a vast amount of translation to do as the game is text heavy. However, if you start with the manual then I'll be able to do some of the in-game work based on that. You can download the manual and see more details about the game here: http://inspired.ultimacodex.com/ultima- ... britannia/

Ok, I've just started with it. As soon as I finished with it, I'll send to you.

Cheers

utopian
Manic Miner

Mensaje por utopian » Lun Abr 15, 2013 10:55 am

cheveron escribió:

Cheers

Are you doing multiload or just a single load? I have done some +3DOS stuff in the past, if it's just a single load it should not be too difficult to make it work, unless you are doing strange things on RAM7. I could have a look at it, feel free to PM me with more details.

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Lun Abr 15, 2013 12:13 pm

utopian escribió:Are you doing multiload or just a single load? I have done some +3DOS stuff in the past, if it's just a single load it should not be too difficult to make it work, unless you are doing strange things on RAM7. I could have a look at it, feel free to PM me with more details.

The main game is a single load, but it is necessary to enable the player to save progress during the game. On the +2B version this will be done using the ROM tape routines. In the +2B version, RAM7 will be full. I assume the fix is to have some data kept on disk and only loaded in when needed. This would then free up enough room for disk support. This does mean the +3 version would be marginally slower than the +2B version. I'm still a long way off finishing the main game, but I wanted to get an idea of what the limitations of +3DOS are now so I can make the code as portable as possible.

utopian
Manic Miner

Mensaje por utopian » Lun Abr 15, 2013 11:15 pm

I usually avoid touching RAM7 at all, save for the shadow screen. I had some problems in the past loading stuff from tape into that page on the +2A, and never tried again :). Maybe this is a good opportunity to re-check this, and learn exactly which areas are safe.

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Mar Abr 16, 2013 7:35 pm

utopian escribió:I usually avoid touching RAM7 at all, save for the shadow screen. I had some problems in the past loading stuff from tape into that page on the +2A, and never tried again :). Maybe this is a good opportunity to re-check this, and learn exactly which areas are safe.

With ROM0 in use, RAM7 gets used for various things. My custom loader forces ROM1 (the equivalent of issuing a USR0 command) at which point it is safe to use RAM7. The game has a vast amount of data and I really didn't want the user to have to juggle tapes around, even virtual ones. I assume in a +3 port of the game it would be best to keep whatever I put in RAM7 in the tape version on disk and load it in as required.

Responder