Spectrum +2B emulation

Emuladores y aplicaciones que ayudarán a la perpetuación del Spectrum y su software en el futuro

Moderador: Sir Cilve Sinclair

Responder
cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Spectrum +2B emulation

Mensaje por cheveron » Jue May 09, 2013 7:29 pm

As some of you know, I'm working on a game for the Spectrum +2B. It really pushes the machine to its limits so it requires timing accurate emulation (correct RAM contention, T-states, and no I/O contention). I'd like to know which emulator you would use to run this software. Any emulator that has timing accurate +2A emulation and does not implement the +3's distorted sound is effectively emulating a +2B. Right now I only know of three emulators that get it right:

* Fuse 1.1 beta
* JSpeccy 0.9.2
* SpecEmu 3.1

I haven't tried the current version of $pectaculator but the last one had incorrect timing. Is anyone using anything else that I should be aware of?
«Dime con quién andas, y te diré quién eres» — Cervantes

mcleod_ideafix
Johnny Jones
Contactar:

Re: Spectrum +2B emulation

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » Vie May 10, 2013 5:13 am

I have the last registered version of Spectaculator. Is there a way I can test if this emulator has correct timmings for +2B?
Web: ZX Projects | Twitter: @zxprojects

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Vie May 10, 2013 8:27 am

mcleod_ideafix escribió:I have the last registered version of Spectaculator. Is there a way I can test if this emulator has correct timmings for +2B?

Yes. This ZXodus II test program (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15659782/TEST.TAP) running on a real +2B can have up to 66 animated tiles on screen at once without any glitching. If you run it on an original 128 (or an emulated +2A with incorrect timings) you will see a small amount of colour glitching every so often in the water behind the octopus on the left. This happens when the AY tune overruns the frame due to I/O contention. A real +2A doesn't have any I/O contention. That's why ZXodus II only supports the later Amstrad machines.

mcleod_ideafix
Johnny Jones
Contactar:

Mensaje por mcleod_ideafix » Vie May 10, 2013 11:55 pm

I cannot see any glitching in the octopus sprite. I've tested using 128K heatsink emulation and sometimes I can see that the blue water turns white sometimes, but with +2A emulation, no glitches.
Web: ZX Projects | Twitter: @zxprojects

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Sab May 11, 2013 1:38 am

mcleod_ideafix escribió:I cannot see any glitching in the octopus sprite. I've tested using 128K heatsink emulation and sometimes I can see that the blue water turns white sometimes, but with +2A emulation, no glitches.

Sounds like the current version is timing accurate then.

Z80user
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por Z80user » Dom May 26, 2013 4:01 pm

I have +2A and +2B version, and i only see some diferences in componets near of video output when i see both mainboards side by side time ago
Si vas a tirar Hardware, primero pregunta si alguien lo puede recuperar.
No abandones un ordenador en un vertedero, donalo a alguien.

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Dom May 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Z80user escribió:I have +2A and +2B version, and i only see some diferences in componets near of video output when i see both mainboards side by side time ago

Then that's two different +2Bs you've got. A real +2A has the same PCB as the +3 but with all of the sockets for the chips to support the disk interface empty. The easiest way to tell if you have a real +2A without opening it (if it's the cut down motherboard it's a +2B) is to listen to some full volume AY sound. On a real +2A it sounds distorted just like on the +3. Even if the case says +2A on the back, dont believe it.

Z80user
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por Z80user » Dom May 26, 2013 11:22 pm

NOTE: Photos are very big, I put only the the link

I have 4 mainboard of Spectrum +2

2 with housing +2A
1 with housing +2B
1 without housing
and I gift 1 more without housing a year ago

all are without socket for floppy disk, all are with mainboard cutting

anyway, not all mainboard I have, or I saw one day, are equals
http://hardware.speccy.org/imagenes/ord ... issue4.jpg
some componets between TEA2000 and UM1233 are diferents

Olso I have +2 (grey)
http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/images/plus2_pcb.jpg but is a little diferent from this photo, the grey Capacitor (like this http://electronicacompleta.com/wp-conte ... tor-12.png the first capacitor of the left) in my mainboard don't exist.

I think are 2 version of +2A one with old board from +3 (full version) and other with the new board (cut version)
I need open all Spectrum to see the ISSUE of all boards, the only one thing to see the real version of the board. I want make a doc of all my computers in home, i think can do it nthe next week but with sun, now make a lot of shadows in pictures.

cheveron
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por cheveron » Lun May 27, 2013 12:27 am

If the motherboard looks like this:
http://hardware.speccy.org/imagenes/ord ... issue4.jpg
It's a +2B.

If you have +2As with +3 motherboards (and some of the sockets unpopulated) then these are pretty rare and you should hang on to them.

Ivanzx
Nonamed
Contactar:

Mensaje por Ivanzx » Lun May 27, 2013 9:28 am

A little bit of Offtopic (Sorry guys)

Z80user, how is it going your PC Futbol for the Spectrum you started some years ago?

Z80user, alguna noticia sobre el PC Futbol para Spectrum que empezaste hace algunos anyos? :)

Perdonad por el Offtopic pero he visto por aqui a Z80user y me ha picado la curiosidad!

Z80user
Manic Miner
Contactar:

Mensaje por Z80user » Lun May 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Ahora mismo intentando formatear el PC grande, te lo cuento por privado despues de las clases de ingles.

Responder